Leta i den här bloggen

fredag 13 maj 2011

Bridget Jones's Diary

1 Quotes


Hello! My third and last text. ENJOY!

I’ve collected 3 quotes that I think in somehow symbolize the book.

“8st 12 (weight loss through use of stairs), alcohol units 0 (excellent), cigarettes 5 (excellent), calories 2452 (not v.g.), times gone down stairs to check for Valentine-type envelope 18 (bad psychologically but v.g. exercise-wise).” p.51

This quote shows how Bridget starts writing every day. Bridget often thinks about her weight and always counts the calories she swallows. She wants to stop drinking so much and she wants to get rid of the stupid cigarettes. Therefore she keeps on counting her weight, calories, alcohol units and cigarettes throughout the whole book. Special for this day is that she also counts Valentine-type envelopes, which also is a typical Bridget-thing to do. She wants someone to care about her, and through a card she thinks she will be satisfied. I simply chose this quotation because it emblemizes who Bridget Jones is.

“Sharon was on top form. ’Bastards!’, she was already yelling by 8.35, pouring three-quarters of a glass of Kir Royale straight down her throat. ’Stupid, smug, arrogant, manipulative, self-indulgent bastard’” p.125

Sharon, who is Bridget’s friend, is just like Bridget: Blaming the man when something in a relationship is wrong. The reason Bridget is single is not herself, it’s all the stupid bastards fault. At least when they talk to each other. When Bridget is home alone in her flat, she always has thoughts like: What is wrong with me? Why doesn’t anybody want me? This is a thoroughgoing attitude in the book.

“I’m falling apart. My boyfriend is sleeping with a bronzed giantess. My mother is sleeping with a Portuguese. Jeremy is sleeping with a horrible trollop, Prince Charles is sleeping with Camilla Parker-Bowles.” p.181

I chose this quotation to show how Helen Fielding deals with the language and humour in the book. As you see she mentions small details: “bronzed giantess”, “Portuguese” and “horrible trollop”. You would have been able to read the book without these tiny details, but in my opinion these phrases make the book hilarious. The details make the seriousness less serious, the details make the book funny and entertaining. It’s the language that makes the book a comedy and not a drama. Good work Helen Fielding!


By: Josefine Säleby

3 kommentarer:

  1. Bridget Jones. She's brilliant. I LOVE her quotes! She's hilarious. Have you seen the movie? (I must say she's even crazier in the movie, by far!)
    xoxo // Ida

    SvaraRadera
  2. I agree! She’s my new best friend, I really adore her! Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to watch the film yet but as soon as we have finished school I will! xoxo/ Josefine S.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Really good quotes. The book seems very funny, and I would like to read it.
    /Mikaela

    SvaraRadera